Skip to main content

Hands-On Adjusting

Bodhi Yoga typically includes hands-on adjustments, as they can deepen the benefits and feel of the yoga practice. I've offered many times, during my student teaching, and usually students politely decline. Which is okay, its not personal to me. Not every student wants or can tolerate or likes hands-on adjustments. 

When a student is practicing yoga, they are making internal adjustments, within their active range of motion, meaning the muscles are moving the body. When they use a prop, a limb, or a partner to move, they explore the passive range of motion, using that external force. A yoga teacher can act as that external force in moving the body gently. It slightly changes the feel of a posture and also introduces the added element of your own energy. It can be incredibly healing when done correctly. 

As a general rule, touch requires trust and mutual respect. I always ask for consent and communicate before even the lightest touch. I try to wait until we've built a rapport. 

When my ego gets out of the way and I allow healing energy to move through me, I can be grounded and gentle in giving and receiving. Breathing together is the first connection/mirroring. 

There are different types of hands-on adjustments. Accupressure is a light one or two finger touch. Restorative Partner Yoga, is a shared experience with both participants are always in a yoga posture, one active and one passive. Polarity Therapy is simultaneously touching alternate sides of the body to bring greater balance to energy. 

 I'm learning that hands-on adjustments can also vary based on Doshas. I hope to offer verbal cues that allow each person to be exactly who they are. As I learn and practice, I will gain confidence in this area. As my teacher, Syl says, "as you take time and courage to practice this very valuable part of teaching, you will soon be able to trust yourself to use hands on adjusting when the time is right for both you and your students."



Bodhi Yoga 

Comments