Skip to main content

Beginning a Yoga Practice


Beginning a yoga practice is simple. You dont need to slide into the spilts or bend your body into a pretzel to practice yoga. All you need to do is breathe. 

Yoga is all about becoming present. I think of presence as bringing my busy mind to meet my body. Rather than thinking about the past (what happened with my child this morning) or the future ( what should I pick up at the store today?), I bring my mind to the NOW. It helps me to focus on my physical sensations. What can I feel right now? My legs on the chair. The way the fabric of my shirt rubs against my belly. The temperature of the air on my skin. The inhale and exhale of air through my nostrils. I focus on filling up and emptying my lungs as thoroughly as I can. I slow down. And I just notice things. I observe. Sounds around me. Smells. Tightness in my muscles. And I breathe, in and out. In and out. Sometimes the stillness is all I need. But sometimes, when I tune into my body like this, even briefly, it tells me what it needs, and then I just begin to gently move, stretch, explore and move through space intuitively. This is the beginning. 

After that, its as easy as attending a class, or watching a youtube video for beginners. A teacher will guide you through movements gently and clearly. Be open, patient with yourself, and enjoy. :) 


 Bodhi Yoga

Comments