Skip to main content

What I love about Yoga


I fell in love with yoga in 2011, while struggling through the brutal world of infertility. The fact that I couldn't get pregnant rocked me to my core. It strained my marriage, my faith, my emotional health, and my relationship with my own body. I felt betrayed and angry. 

The group fitness room at my local gym became my sanctuary. Twice a week, when our teacher, Holly, would dim the lights and guide us through a yoga practice, I felt peace and presence. I learned to appreciate my physical strength and loved the sensation of alignment and bringing my awareness to my body and the power of my breath. I was invited to challenge myself in new ways, to adapt, and to become more flexible, on and off the mat. 

Since then, I have abandoned and returned to my practice over and over. Over the years, yoga practice has carried me through many rounds of IVF, four pregnancies (two high risk), postpartum healing, rehabing injuries, grief and joy, weight gain and loss, times of confidence and times of crippling insecurity. I've practiced alone, and with others, at studios and gyms, in parks and beside mountain lakes, on the beach, on my bedroom floor, in hotel rooms, with and without a mat, with strangers and friends and loved ones. 

Through it all, I continually relearn gratitude and connection my body, but more importantly, I learn the lessons that I carry throughout my life off the mat.

Yoga is about developing my self awareness, discipline and resilience. Its about letting go of expectations, living in the NOW, trusting my intuition, and so much more. Yoga is a forever teacher. 


Bodhi Yoga 

Comments