Skip to main content

"Gunas"



In yogic philosophy all of the essence of nature (mother nature/ Shakti) is comprised of energy. The three qualities of energy are manifested in Tamas, Raja and Sattva.  The 3 gunas are constantly interacting and in flux within us. An awareness of the gunas allows us to be more balanced, peaceful and harmonious on and off the yoga mat. According to an article by Linda Sparrow in Yoga Journal, "Tamas provides our foundation; rajas gives it vitality and breath; sattva imbues it with consciousness and compassionate awareness"

 Here is a brief description of the gunas. 

Tamas- foundation, inertia, slow, thick, stability (upward/downward movement)

Raja- vitality and inhalation, activity, enthusiasm (forward/backward movement)

Sattva- consciousness, compassionate awareness, clear, focus, presence (side-to-side movement)

Noticing which guna is dominant in my life, mind, emotions or body in any given moment allows me to mindfully observe and then choose how to respond or act in order to find balance again. 

Yoga is an opportunity to physically balance (through movement) all three energies as we move through the asanas. I know I tend toward Tamas in certain seasons or even times of day. I can use my breath and body to help my emotional state move to Raja and eventually land on Sattva, or closer to it. 

 Bodhi Yoga

Comments