Skip to main content

Stay on your mat

After I attend a yoga class, I will often sit outside the room and jot down a few notes, thoughts or feelings, insights that came to me during the hour... and sometimes specific things my teacher said or did during the class. 

One day, she said, "stay on your own mat". And she wasn't talking about physical space. As yogis we often slide a limb off the mat as we explore the space around us and move freely.

However, our eyes and intentions should be focused on our own experience, our own practice. I've been guilty of glancing at other students to see what they are doing during a posture, or to mentally "rank" myself in terms of my perceived "performance" during class. This never ends well for my mental and emotional state. Either I find myself having feelings of inadequacy and thoughts of shame or I come dangerously close to pride and Ego taking over, depending on the day and who is present or what posture we're in. How silly! When this happens I gently guide my awareness back to my breath and my own sensations. Comparison and competition have no place in the yoga space, even within ourselves. It reminds me of one of my favorite Brene Brown quotes- "dont shrink, dont puff up, stand your sacred ground". There is no hierarchy, no prerequisites, no "success" in a yoga experience. Releasing attachment from "goals" is paramount to feeling peace and non-judgement during a public class and even a private session.  

"Stay on your own mat" reminds me to tune into my own body and focus on gratitude for the adequacy of my practice in that very moment. This is why I often practice with my eyes mostly closed, and I appreciate teachers who excel at giving verbal cues so I can follow along just fine, even without watching them or others. 



Bodhi Yoga

Comments