Skip to main content

Home Practice vs Studio

There is not a "right" place to practice yoga asanas (physical postures). 

But for me, each spot has its pros and cons. I choose one or the other depending on the day and what I want to take from the practice/ what energy I need at that time, or just what is possible. Practicing at home in my personal practice (no videos or teachers, just my own mind and body), is my time to be creative, explore, move intuitively, or through a regular familiar sequence. Here is where I learn so that when I teach, I can authentically "just teach what I know so far". (as my teacher, Syl says).  Practicing in a class allows me to learn new things from others, and to be guided, which takes less mental capacity for me.

Home: 

  • Pros: 
  • Easy access
  • Comfortable
  • Private
  • Playful, exploratory movement at my own pace
  • Cons: 
  • Distractions
  • No guide/teacher
  • Typically shorter practices

Studio:
  • Pros:
  • Teacher to guide the practice
  • Clean and quiet
  • Learn from others
  • Set length 
  • Cons:
  • Cost money
  • Takes more time
  • Less control over environment/ practice/music 

Which do you prefer? At this stage in my life, because my home is typically loud and messy, I prefer to practice in the studio. :) But there was a time when I practiced with my little monkeys crawling all over me, and I loved that too. 

Bodhi Yoga


Comments