Skip to main content

Slowness


There is a quote I love, that has been attributed to Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu, 

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished".

Whether or not he actually said it, I can still appreciate the wisdom and apply it to my own life. 

One of my favorite things about yoga is the way it invites me to slow down. I am often in a rush, herding my children to the car, or school, a park, a store. Racing the clock, stressing and yelling and frankly, causing more commotion than is necessary to get from point A to point B. My mind is planning the schedule for tomorrow, or reciting a to-do list, or ruminating on something that happened last week, worrying about the future, or scrolling past a bunch of "what-if's". 

When I arrive on my mat, with an hour (or just 10 minutes) set aside ONLY for practice, I do my best to bring my mind to meet my body, and move slowly and intentionally, tuning into my breath.

In a yoga asana practice, the transitions between postures is just as important as the pose itself. When I practice with attention to the transitions, making them graceful and intentional, I feel strong and aligned and present. One of the things I love most about Syl Carson's teaching is the pace. She allows ample time in each asana to really explore it, attune to my body and make tiny adjustments, noticing how it changes the feel. The stillness is sometimes part of the challenge. And yet with each breath, a new opportunity to feel the pose in a deeper or different way. 

Bodhi Yoga 

Comments