Skip to main content

Stretching

The image of a yogi is often a very flexible person. But here is the truth I wish everyone knew- Flexibility is a side effect of a yoga practice, not a prerequisite. 

Our brain creates "set lengths" for muscles. We have the opportunity to dynamically stretch them gently and increase the resting or set length, so that when we return to practice again and again, slowly over time the flexibility increases. This allows for greater depth in postures, and healthier mobility in life. Different joints have different ideal combinations of flexibility and stability. They are interdependent. We do need to exercise caution as to not overdo it and cause injury (such as in synovial tissues that line joint capsules, susceptible to stretch injury). Hence me always reminding my students to trust themselves, and listen to the wisdom of their own bodies. Everything I say is an invitation, not a requirement. I'm also working to increase my understanding of anatomy to help cue my students (and myself) in our alignment and process to stretch more effectively. One of the books I'm currently diving into is The Key Muscles of Yoga by Ray Long.

Here are three different types of stretching: 

Active Static - contracting the antagonist (in a seated forward fold, flexing quads to relax hamstrings)

Facilitated- contract the stretched muscle (gently, to activate the reflex arc known as Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation)

Dynamic- moving, going deeper each repetition (like in a Vinyasa) 


Bodhi Yoga


Comments