Skip to main content

Meditation

I had the opportunity to attend a meditation retreat this spring. I thoroughly enjoyed it. As meditation is often included as a part of a yoga practice, I thought I'd include here a few thoughts and experiences I had during my time at the retreat, at a secluded research station in Capitol Reef National Park. 

Our teacher, Jarom, began by reminding us that we didn't need to expect anything magical or mystical to happen to us during meditation. It was simply a time to become aware of our mind and be present with ourselves. I appreciate this because I think we often have the idea that people who meditate are "enlightened" or "zen" or whatever. But really, most of us are just normal humans living a messy, beautiful existence, trying our best and finding the sublime in the mundane. We meditated laying down, sitting in chairs, walking on trails, and moving through simple postures. Sitting perfectly still on a cushion is not required. 

Three requirements for a "successful" meditation: 

1. willingness to practice

2. a gentle, non-judgmental awareness

3. a focal point for awareness to rest on

*thoughts are ok, dont try too hard, let go of expectations, be kind to yourself, stick with it


Meditation has many physical, psychological and spiritual benefits. I'll list just a few here such as better energy, sleep and immune system function. Improved inner peace, emotional regulation, focus and self-awareness. Increased intuition, connectedness with life, and sense of purpose. 

One of the incredible benefits for me is realizing that I am not my thoughts. I can separate myself from them and observe them. This is powerful. 

During the retreat, we experimented with different types of meditation, such as mindful eating, nature meditations, noble silence, guided imagery, star gazing, fire ceremonies, yoga nidra and sound baths. All of it included just being open to each new experience without expectation, followed by sharing honest insights as a group.

For me, the most profound lessons came from just being alone in nature and setting the intention of being open and curious to whatever it might teach me. I went in silence with this intention and a notebook for jotting down impressions. I think that is a beautiful practice to bring to my everyday life. I feel very connected to the Divine when in nature. 

"Whoever you are, no matter how lonely, the world offers itself to your imagination."- Mary Oliver


Bodhi Yoga

Comments